Thursday, January 26, 2017

The girlfriend


I met B's girlfriend last night. 

B is 13, almost 14.  She's in 8th grade.  Last night was the information night at the high school for the incoming Freshman. 

B told me a few weeks ago she had a girlfriend.  We were coming from the group for LGBTQ youth that she attends and I asked if she was "out" at school.  She told me, yes, the other kids knew and in fact, she now had a girlfriend. 

I think she had a different girlfriend over the summer.  Her older sister said she had.  She said she'd read some texts between the two girls that talked about made it clear.  But this is the first time she has told me and also the first time I met this girl.

The previous girl was a friend and she often slept over at her house.  Which makes me wonder, what are the rules for sleep-overs with gay kids?  B's best friend is a gay boy and they have had sleep overs before.  She also has a friend who is a trans boy and has asked if he can sleep over.  I don't know what's appropriate and what is not.  B is not a very sophisticated teen.  She thinks sex is gross.  I don't want to stifle her friendships, but I also don't want her to be in a situation that puts her in an uncomfortable place.

I saw this video recently and it is very sad.  No gay youth should have to struggle like that.  B's best friend probably had the hardest time of any of the other LGBTQ youth we know.  He is Hispanic and his parents didn't take the news well at first.  For the first several months he wasn't allowed to participate in family social events and they also didn't allow him to eat with them at first, but it is better now.




No comments:

Post a Comment